- An expanded view of how dementia affects the emotions, thinking and behavior.
- The new 2017 Dementia with Lewy Bodies criteria, along with explanations and a discussion of brain imaging and a comparison to the older but still in use Parkinson's Disease Dementia criteria.
- Our very successful style of responding to your loved one's delusions with empathy and acceptance. This is of course, a much condensed version of what is in our Responsive Dementia Care: Fewer Behaviors Fewer Drugs book.
- Information about symptoms now recognized as being Lewy-related, such as apathy and a whole section on mood disorders.
- Information about alternative therapy options and techniques.
- New information about antipsychotics, with stronger warning by dementia experts to use non-drug remedies before antipsychotics with "all dementias" not just LBD. But also, a newer antipsychotic that may work better with LBD and the removal of Seroquel from the Beers Criteria of drugs for seniors to avoid.
- The many advantages of medical marijuana and CBD with dementia.
- Information about the LBDA's Research Centers of Excellence, which improve community knowledgeable LBD treatment and care and provide support for the care partner.
- A huge Resources section, with information about a variety of subjects like alternative therapy, brain donations, caregiver information and support, drugs, home safety, treatment, residential placement and more.
- A huge Glossary, with words in this manual and others that you might come into contact with later.
For more information about Lewy body disorders, read our books:
A Caregivers’ Guide to Lewy Body Dementia
Managing Cognitive Issues in Parkinson's and Lewy Body Dementia
Responsive Dementia Care: Fewer Behaviors Fewer Drugs
Helen and James Whitworth are not doctors, lawyers or social workers. As informed caregivers, they share the information here for educational purposes only. It should never be used instead of a professional's advice.