Feel free to email your questions to Regina through this link or at the end of this article. Please fill out the short questionnaire so that she can provide a more complete answer.
AN INTRODUCTION TO ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES FOR DEMENTIA CARE:
We do not advocate the use of alternative therapies as your sole source of treatment. We are here to inform, educate and empower you and your charges. Alternative therapies provide benefit to both patient and caregiver. They can work in conjunction with pharmacology to enhance treatment while providing positive and beneficial results. On their own, they have been shown to alleviate, and in many cases, eliminate a multitude of symptoms. Unlike many pharmaceuticals, alternative therapies do no harm. Side effects, if any, are negligible.
We suggest working with your physician to incorporate alternative therapies into your care plan. Many physicians find value and embrace their use while others are strictly by the book. Alternative therapies have been used for centuries, it has only been in the last 20 years or so that our modern medical community has begun to see their value. Physicians, hospitals, hospice and dementia care facilities are relying more and more on the use of a non-pharmacological approach.
I highly suggest taking a look at www.lbdtools.com . Authors, Jim and Helen Whitworth wrote their award winning books and created this website to help caregivers better understand Lewy body dementia and how to provide appropriate care for their patients and loved ones. The Whitworth’s will tell you, caregiving isn’t a job, it’s a labor of love, personal sacrifice and commitment that can take its toll on your physical, mental and emotional wellbeing well beyond what you can imagine.
A positive side to incorporating Alternative Therapies into your caregiving routines is the impact it has on the caregiver over and above the impact it has on the patient. Many of these therapies require physical contact, others, a connection on the spiritual and/or emotional level. As a caregiver, this contact with the therapies may provide you with the same or similar positive experience your charge will have.
While there are a multitude of therapies, we will cover those therapies that:
- Are evidence based in nature and have been shown to have great impact on the health and well being of the dementia patient as well as their caregivers
- Are a range of affordable services provided by licensed, trained therapist with a history and extensive experience working with dementia patients
- Are therapies (most) that can be taught to caregivers who desire to implement them in the care of their patients or loved ones
- We have researched for higher than average results with recommendations for specific products that meet the highest standards in the industry
- Have been found to have a significant impact on behavioral and physical problems found in patients suffering from dementia.
Please visit my Healing Things blog for upcoming weekly articles covering:
- Incorporating Alternative Therapies
- Essential Oils and their role in dementia care:
- Essential Oils for Nutrition Therapy
- Essential Oils and Massage Therapy
- Essential Oils and Touch Therapy
- Essential Oils for Aroma Therapy - Stress Reduction, Improved Sleep, Memory and Cognition
- Music Therapy
- Healing Frequencies, Tones and Vibration – Impacting the body on a Cellular Level
- Music and Memory
- Art Therapy
- Memory and Motor Function
- Color and How it Relates to Dementia
- Fractal Therapy
- Meditation and Stretch Yoga
- Nutrition Therapy – Dealing with Toxicity
- CBD Oil – Researching the Best, Purest, Cleanest and Organically Grown Product and the Positive Impact on Dementia and Overall Health.on Dementia and Overall Health.
To reach Regina with your questions or feedback, please, click here below and fill in the form.