The following affirmations were adapted from a list of mantras collected by the LBD Caring Spouses online support group by Rosemary Dawson. All mantras are helpful but I believe that they are most effective as personal affirmations. Not every affirmation will have meaning for every care partner. Some will have meaning at one point on the Lewy journey with different ones resonating at other points. Which can you relate to now? Which ones do you use? Which ones will you choose to use today?
- I am open to receive the gift of the day.
- I choose the lesser stressor.
- I don't look back. I don't look forward. I focus on today.
- I don't worry about tomorrow; today is what matters.
- I don't take the bait.
- I drop the rope.
- I find joy each day with (your loved one's name).
- I find not just issues, but blessings.
- I go along to get along.
- Home, Hospice, Heaven!
- I am doing the best I can.
- I don't like the music, but I am still going to dance.
- I forgive (your loved one's name).
- I forgive myself.
- I love you.
- It's Lewy, not (your loved one's name).
- I keep in touch (by touching) .
- I kiss slowly, forgive quickly, play hard, take chances, give everything, and have no regrets.
- I laugh when I can, apologize when I should, and let go of what I can't change.
- I let go, let God.
- Life is too short to be anything but happy!
- I look for treasures in the darkness.
- One day (hour/minute) at a time.
- Outsmart Lewy.
- I pick my battles!
- Sooner rather than later.
- Start low, go slow!
- I stay calm and avoid the ER.
- Thank you for ....(e.g., being you, loving me, sharing my life, helping me with......)
- This is doable. This too will pass ...
- This was the best day of our life!
- To dream the impossible dream.
- Toujour Ensemble.... Always together.
- When it rains, I look for rainbows. When it's dark, I look for stars.
- I can't control the waves, but I can learn how to surf.
- (Your loved one's name) is doing the b•est s/he can.
The Caring Spouses is a private online group limited to spouses of people living with LBD. If you are a LBD spouse, you can CLICK HERE to request to subscribe.
The Yahool LBD Caregiver's Support Group is open to LBD caregivers and anyone interested in LBD caregiving. To subscribe, CLICK HERE, then enter "LBD Caregivers" in the search box.
The Lewy Body Dementia Support Group on Facebook is a closed group, but easy for anyone interested in LBD to join. Enter "Lewy Body Dementia Support in the Facebook search box.
A Caregivers’ Guide to Lewy Body Dementia
Managing Cognitive Issues in Parkinson's and Lewy Body Dementia
Helen and James Whitworth are not doctors, lawyers or social workers. As informed caregivers, they share the information here for educational purposes only. It should never be used instead of a professional's advice.