- LBD affects 1.4 million Americans and likely many more who are undiagnosed.
- LBD is the second most common progressive dementia after Alzheimer's disease (AD).
- Like AD, LBD is caused by damaged proteins, but they are not the same ones.
- LBD is a neurological disease caused by damaged proteins called Lewy bodies that spread in time throughout many areas of the brain.
- Researchers believe that Lewy bodies occur due to a combination of genetics and toxins in the environment.
- Symptoms depend on where the Lewy bodies are in the brain.
For more information about Lewy body disorders, read our books:
Helen and James Whitworth are not doctors, lawyers or social workers. As informed caregivers, they share the information here for educational purposes only. It should never be used instead of a professional's advice.