- Listen carefully.
- Accept the person's reality and agree in action if not in words.
- Focus on the emotion and respond to that rather than the words.
- Stay in the here and now.
- Contribute by offering words that fit the person's reality. (This may mean an apology if that is what they need!)
- Once you are working together, move the action forward towards a needed goal.
For more information about Lewy body disorders, read our books:
A Caregivers’ Guide to Lewy Body Dementia
Managing Cognitive Issues in Parkinson's and Lewy Body Dementia
Helen and James Whitworth are not doctors, lawyers or social workers. As informed caregivers, they share the information here for educational purposes only. It should never be used instead of a professional's advice.