Empathetic communication is a non-drug option for behavior management based on the fact that to a person without abstract thinking, their delusions are true and their hallucinations are real.
- Accept that your reality is as false to them as theirs is to you.
- Accept that their beliefs are unchangeable.
- Accept that explaining, defending or arguing is futile.
- Use empathy to consider how you'd feel if you were them.
- Respond in the way you'd want to be responded to.
- Agree, at least by action if not in words, (nod).
- With delusional accusations: Apologize and move on.
- With hallucinations: Check for safety and go with the flow.
A Caregivers’ Guide to Lewy Body Dementia
Managing Cognitive Issues in Parkinson's and Lewy Body Dementia
Helen and James Whitworth are not doctors, lawyers or social workers. As informed caregivers, they share the information here for educational purposes only. It should never be used instead of a professional's advice.